10 dried apricot halves, finely chopped
6 packaged amaretti cookies, crumbled
2 tsp (10 mL) almond extract
1 tbsp (15 mL) brandy
1 large egg white
1⁄3 cup (75 mL) chopped, blanched almonds
1⁄4 cup (50 mL) packed light brown sugar
To serve (optional)
Light sour cream or vanilla ice cream
• Dried apricots are a good source of potassium, which is needed to maintain normal blood pressure.
• Amaretti cookies are a type of macaroon made with whipped egg whites and almond paste. Because they are made with a meringue, they are lower in fat than many other cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Half-fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Cut 4 of the peaches in half (do not peel) and remove the pits. Slide the peaches into the boiling water and cook just until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Place the peaches cut side up in a shallow baking dish.
- To make the filling, peel, pit and finely chop the remaining peach and place in a medium bowl. Add the dried apricots, amaretti crumbs, almond extract, brandy and egg white. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Heat a small skillet over high heat for 1 minute, add the almonds, then turn and toss them until golden and lightly toasted. Add the almonds to the fruit mixture and toss.
- Spoon the filling into the cavities of each peach half, heaping up the filling and pressing it together gently. Sprinkle with the brown sugar. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the peaches until tender, about 25 minutes. Remove the foil, increase the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C), and bake until the topping is golden brown, 5 minutes more. Serve warm with a scoop of light sour cream or ice cream, if desired.
preparation time 30 minutes
cooking time about 35 minutes
serves 8 (half a peach each)
Choices per serving: Carbohydrate 2, Fat 1